Thursday, 16 April 2009

"The pierced, disfigured Christ looks like me"

I was very moved by this article in last Friday’s Catholic Herald, based on an interview with Révérien Rurangwa. I’m not really sure what I think yet, other than his experience has something profound to say. It has something profound to say that is neither churchy, liturgical, ministerial, political or full of self interest. To even begin contemplating his story, or asking myself the question “what would I have done ?” or even just to begin trying to empathise feels like a violation of his experience.

As a result of reading the article I decided to look at the Rwandan "New Times" on line. There are further moving testimonies from genocide survivors in the "Never Again." section of the Sunday Times website. These personal testimonies of hope in the future, rather than dwelling on the despair of the past are powerful messages for our self absorbed society. It is almost beyond belief that there are people who try to deny the genocide actually happened. As English philosopher Edmund Burke said, ‘The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing.’

No comments: