Saturday, 9 April 2011

Fr Roy Bourgeois

Sad to think a Church that once endorsed slavery cannot see the same discrimination at work in the case of ordination of women.  Fr Roy Bourgeois may be ‘kicked’ out of his religious communityand the RC Church just because he disagrees with Roman Catholic discipline. He has refused to recant his views in a letter to his religious superior.


Rev. Edward Dougherty, M.M., Superior General
Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers
P.O. Box 303 Maryknoll, NY 10545

April 8, 2011

Dear Father Dougherty and General Council,

Maryknoll has been my community, my family, for 44 years, so it is with great sadness that I received your letter of March 18, 2011 stating I must recant my belief and public statements that support the ordination of women, or I will be dismissed from Maryknoll.

When I was a young man in the military, I felt God was calling me to be a priest. I later entered Maryknoll and was ordained. I am grateful for finding the happiness, meaning and hope I was seeking in life.

For the past 20 years I have been speaking out and organizing against the injustice of the School of the Americas and U.S. foreign policy in Latin America. Over these years I discovered an injustice much closer to home - an injustice in my Church. Read more . . click here

No comments: