Tuesday, 20 November 2012

Utter Disgrace - what are they so afraid of ?

The Dismissal of Fr Roy Bourgeois - yet another heavy handed manouvre by a church authority becoming more insecure by the day - what are they frightened of?

STATEMENT ABOUT MY DISMISSAL FROM MARYKNOLL
I have been a Catholic priest in the Maryknoll community for 40 years. As a young man I joined Maryknoll because of its work for justice and equality in the world. To be expelled from Maryknoll and the priesthood for believing that women are also called to be priests is very difficult and painful.
 
The Vatican and Maryknoll can dismiss me, but they cannot dismiss the issue of gender equality in the Catholic Church. The demand for gender equality is rooted in justice and dignity and will not go away.
As Catholics, we profess that God created men and women of equal worth and dignity. As priests, we profess that the call to the priesthood comes from God, only God. Who are we, as men, to say that our call from God is authentic, but God's call to women is not? The exclusion of women from the priesthood is a grave injustice against women, our Church and our loving God who calls both men and women to be priests
 
When there is an injustice, silence is the voice of complicity. My conscience compelled me to break my silence and address the sin of sexism in my Church. My only regret is that it took me so long to confront the issue of male power and domination in the Catholic Church.
I have explained my position on the ordination of women, and how I came to it, in my booklet, My Journey from Silence to Solidarity. Please go to: www.roybourgeoisjourney.org.   

2 comments:

Fr Hugh said...

It is an utter disgrace Roy. JP11 told my Archbishop, on an ad limina visit, when asked about 'hot topics' in his diocese, he replied, amongst other issues, "Women's Ordination". JP11 got very angry indeed and told him that he had already told him that this issue was not to be discussed AT ALL!!!
If Stalin, or more of his ilk had said such a thing, the vast majority of people in the world would be rightly outraged.
This came from a man who had suffered under Nazi occupation.

The Servant of the Servants of Christ? I think not.
Vicar of Christ - don't think so.
Worst of all BXV1 is fast-tracking him to Sainthood. No wonder there is a growing disregard for the Magisterium, and the Pope in particular. However, I truly believe that the Holy Spirit was profoundly at work in Vatican 11. and no "reform of the reform" supported by the Curia and the last two Popes can possibly undermine the Holy Spirit.
Institutional mysogny will eventually disappear, God willing.
Good Luck in your new, free life.

Alfred Layton said...

The staunchly catholic Lord Acton was a distinguished historian and diplomat. An enormous number of people quote his comment 'Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely'. Relatively few of them are aware that his comment was prompted by Pius IX' s proposed declaration of Papal Infallibility. Acton's prophecy continues to be fulfilled every day and Fr Bourgeois is a recent victim. A possible consoling thought is that nothing undermines power so much as its misuse.

Alfred Layton

Google 'Lord Acton'